Photo

Are singing programs the Future of the music industry?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ven

Ven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • AC Type:
    Hi Mbl, Hi Def, Heavy Bipedal
  • PSNID:
    Gamefreak_09

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

I've been thinking for some time about humanity's approach towards what is the most efficient and convenient option.

Machines have helped us minimize effort so that we can achieve a more favorable efficiency. What I'm talking about aren't mechanized-tools like a Jackhammer. The machines I speak of are those that do not need to be frequently regulated by multiple humans unless being fixed or tuned. In other words, I'm trying to focus on the machines that replace human jobs.

I'm sure some of you have heard of the Vocaloids?

Posted Image

They are programs capable of singing in Japanese. I've never used one, but I would assume you can set any note with any [Japanese] word at any volume. Each time you play the song, it would end up sounding exactly the same. They don't make mistakes, imperfections are at the fault of the one telling the programs what to do. They aren't paid and won't end up doing dangerous drugs to possibly end up arrested or dead. They won't make stupid demands or let the fame go to their heads (well I suppose unless the artist ends up that way). Also, think of technical things such as a sound room. Vocaloids are already singing in a contained environment.

Basically, they are more convenient than real singers. (well.... thats if you are good with programs I suppose)

Do you guys think this may be a huge thing of the future?

A few cons to using vocaloids is that people see the vocaloid, not the artist. I have seen so many Miku Hatsune (the blue haired girl displayed above) pictures, but never consider who writes her songs. The image of Miku is so strong that I see anything she sings as something ... well yeah.. something she sings, not what someone has made her sing.

If singing programs do not take over the music industry, then consider their marketing potential. How do you feel about the possibility of singing programs modeled after people like Lady Gaga or Elvis? Sure it might end up stupid, but think about the tons of people would enjoy messing with them. Or who knows, maybe they will end up affecting the movie business.

Though, this is me expecting singing/talking programs to be entirely more advanced later on.

#2 Py687

Py687

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationACU
  • AC Type:
    Live and Learn
  • PSNID:
    Pky687
  • LIVE Tag:
    Pky687

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

Who knows.

I'll be serious, I find Hatsune Miku's stuff pretty average most of the time. Nothing unique.

I'd also like to think human voices will always have something that an artificial one won't.

Autotune, on the other hand, I will never accept, unless it's used ironically.

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

#3 Poseidal

Poseidal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:22 AM

I think with the advent of Autotune and much popoular music using it (as a device, not even to 'tighten' up a normal vocal track), you might as well cut out the 'stars' of those genres and replace them with vocaloids.

I don't think they substitute for a real singer for a lot of other genres though.

#4 obliviondoll

obliviondoll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • AC Type:
    Anything on two legs
  • PSNID:
    obliviondoll
  • SkypeID:
    obliviondoll

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:09 AM

Are singing programs THE future of the industry?

No. But they're definitely PART of its future.

Some music works with synthesised voices, some music needs a live human voice, and some can work with both.
--V^^^V--
I want my meals to think for myself
-----
Posted Image <= Click me

#5 AvalonFive

AvalonFive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • AC Type:
    Any.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

The last few years i've noticed a transition in the most popular music from the current kings (pop, R&B, etc.) to their close cousin, Electronic (primarily House and DnB). Maybe i'm just crazy, but the way the music industry is leaning these days, i'm getting the vibe that soon, a lot of the most popular music won't have singers at all, save for guest artists adding some sort of minor vocal element.

OR i could be totally wrong, and vocaloids will take over pop culture for the next decade. Who knows, really?

#6 Gladiale

Gladiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

Guys...please...we all know that hologram Tupac is the future of the music industry.
Posted Image
Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.

#7 Xachou

Xachou

Pilot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • AC Type:
    Light Weight, Close Combat, duel blades
  • LIVE Tag:
    Xachou

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

Well it's better than hearing some songs today (I'm talking about those rap songs that makes no sense at all). I like the vocaloids, as you can see............What's amazing is that anyone can make their own music with it and share it. You can make it when ever you want and not wait for a song to be released by a singer. In my opinion, I prefer the voice synthesizer.

Some of the songs have huge impacts on people because the lyrics are written by others like themselves.

That's what Hatsune Miku's name means: "First Sound from The Future"

xFPap.jpg

#8 Nescient

Nescient

nope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • AC Type:
    Black, RWD
  • PSNID:
    T56
  • LIVE Tag:
    428/393 @7200/3600rpm

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:14 AM

Going off Poseidon and oblivion, I'd argue the future you describe is already here... For most, experiencing live music happens rarely. I know people in there 20's that have never bothered to see a live show.

However I doubt software will ever replace real vocals. Though, To state the obvious, we're way past that point... (Devils advocate:) my phone can play Roxanne...

In a utopian future I imagine there will be an app that combines all sorts of freakish technology, to the point where it could match the creativity and emotive drive of several professional musicians. But we'll probably blow ourselves up in the mean time.

In the now, I think programs like volcaloid are great, but the concept falls short of bearing relevance in comparison to a trained vocalist. A 9 year old with a good voice can do the same things you describe.

A. For me, mechanically perfect lyrics are a secondary concern to finding something that I find interesting. Usually this translates to lyrics which I can relate to. Which is not to say I prefer dense structure or even a tractable meaning at the price of imperfect acoustics. Some of my favorite recordings are less than perfect, I often find that live mistakes more interesting than a comparatively banal studio recording. Take an artist like Dave Matthews James Hetfield or Eddie Veddar... Combined with competent musicians and, frankly, booze and heroine, these elements form a whole with far greater musical potential per pound than the computer I imagine it would take to run a competent live show, or create new material outright.

B. Singing is great. Most people would rather do it the hard way, hum it out or play silently in there own head.

C. How good is volcaloids Roxanne? Does it have enough fidelity to replicate subtle variations to pitch/volume, as in the outro?

D. I'm impressed but imagine this things range being somewhere between Justin bid dr... U win autocorrect- ...and an auto tuned chipmunk.

C. I also can't imagine it being, in any way, emotive... Outside of a band/solo musician using it for lack of a better option.

Come to think of it, disco biscuits would've taken over music... If only they'd known... Or just shut there fucking mouths...

Close the door, put out the light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq