Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

We should discuss it.

Apart from the fact that this game is very addicting there are a few things I would like to hear other people's thoughts on.

PvP level cap
New content up to NG+4 (Unconfirmed?)
Builds & favored equipment.
Co-Op
whatever else.

I'll edit my own thoughts in later.
Anything can be solved with the proper application of explosives

#2 Not-Hunter

Not-Hunter

Srash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • AC Type:
    HRJ/L Tank/L MBP
  • PSNID:
    ShinyHunter7
  • LIVE Tag:
    Shinyhunter7 (Current)
  • SkypeID:
    not.hunter

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

I saw somewhere that someone said "Never has a truer sequel been made", and I agree, it make a lot of sense and helps to define the relationship between the two games. Dark souls II has a very eerie feel of re-experiencing dark souls I, except, you're not really re-experiencing dark souls I, dksII just succeeds at being a new souls game.

Other common sentiments seem to be that some of the environments could be a bit weirder and more interesting, but I personally think that the "almost" unimaginative way some of the levels are designed adds to the game in a really weird, roundabout way.

I do think the bosses could be more interesting, as I haven't even really advanced that far in souls II, and I've already fought at least three or four large suits of armor. The scorpion lady feels very much like a harder version of quelaag. Old dragonslayer is fine because he's supposed to bear a resemblance to Ornstein, though I'd like to know where he came from and what he was doing there.

As for PvP, I'm not really gonna bother talking about builds, levels, or poise, (or magic, for that matter) since I don't really have any useful knowledge to share there. I will say, though, PvP gained some nice stuff in the form of lots of random interesting weapons, leaving people lots of room to do whatever thing they find fun or odd.

"Everyone wants furry sex if it's with glaceon"

-Py687

Twitter: @Shinyhunter7
{C}https://twitter.com/Shinyhunter7

#3 Poseidal

Poseidal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

Finished it recently, and talked with some others on another board I go to.

Basically, the PVP level cap won't work due to the way matchmaking works. Once you have gone past a certain number of collected souls, you are in the same pool as someone who is at level 700 who fastrolls in full Havel's with all the spells. 150 is one that people wanted to do from what I gather (due to Stamina and Load being split into two stats, along with Adpt for increasing roll i-frames). This is only what I gathered from reading around; I don't really PVP that much, though I might do some duels to get the Dragon set.

NG+ runs add some extra enemies, NPC phantoms and player invasion timer is more frequent. These new phantoms and some enemies start dropping items that they don't on the first play through. At around NG++ some of the NPCs start selling some more items (usually things like late game spells that would normally require x rank in some covenants). What's annoying is that due to limited spawns, you might miss out on some armour/items thanks to RNG on drops and have to use an ascetic (which ups the enemies to the next NG+ level) in the area to respawn them.

Builds - Magic makes PvE much easier. I only half believed it, until on my Physical character I levelled some spellcasting and went and killed a couple of bosses in seconds that I had real trouble with physical only. Also, scaling is pretty garbage in terms of how much damage it gets you so there's no reason not to just level physical stats to wield the weapons you want, then level spellcasting stats and infuse the weapon to scale with the spellcasting stat (and use the weapon buff spells). My favourite weapon is the Claymore and Halberd movesets.

Co-op is fun, some people had issues but I had no problem at all getting summoned to fight bosses and getting the Heirs to the Sun 3rd level reward.

#4 Not-Hunter

Not-Hunter

Srash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • AC Type:
    HRJ/L Tank/L MBP
  • PSNID:
    ShinyHunter7
  • LIVE Tag:
    Shinyhunter7 (Current)
  • SkypeID:
    not.hunter

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Basically, the PVP level cap won't work due to the way matchmaking works. Once you have gone past a certain number of collected souls, you are in the same pool as someone who is at level 700 who fastrolls in full Havel's with all the spells.

This is interesting. Where'd you hear that? And do you have more specifics?

-Py687

#5 Eternalinventor

Eternalinventor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • AC Type:
    Weapon Arm Sniper
  • PSNID:
    DarklingVladd
  • LIVE Tag:
    darklingvladd

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

DS2 determines pvp and co op based off of your soul memory. You match up with anyone 50,000 +/- your soul memory. Soul memory can be scene on the stats page top right corner. Basicly, one NG boss fight gives you 50,000. so it is easy to gain SM in that regard.
"A Raven!!! Ahhhh damn it, they found out."

Long Live the (Sniper's) Legacy.

#6 Parry

Parry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • AC Type:
    Pre-AC5: Heavies, post AC5: tanks
  • PSNID:
    ParryACO

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

It's said that the "considered" PvP level is SL150.

Soul memory also stops being taken into account at 12 million, where you're in the "highest bracket."

While Dark Souls 2 is a good game on its' own right, the amount of auto-tracking in a lot of the bosses movements cause for some really bullshit hits.

Also, I've gone through all of NG+ with dual zweihanders and havel's set. Pre-patch Lost Sinner was absolutely irritating solely due to the BPs that spawn.

"Those who seek power are the absolute corruptible."

#7 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Pre-patch Lost Sinner was absolutely irritating solely due to the BPs that spawn.

That fight made me insane. I stepped back from NG+ at that point to work on my dual (U)greatsword + havel's file.

I'm more or less lost on the idea of having a PvP cap with SM in play. My SL 150 character who is half way through NG+ has well over 4 million SM. To me this translates into having to rebuild characters over and over in order to get PvP fights, or play people who are well over my SL.

#8 Maze

Maze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • AC Type:
    Howie cqc with Nergal, random crap while mercing.
  • PSNID:
    rottenbreed

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

My thoughts on dark souls 2

The story: Meh I didn't like it there was more indecisiveness in it than a teenaged romance.

bosses:once you learn to be persistent about strafing to one of their sides and rolling through their attacks to get behind them most bosses are chumps.

new stats:I like vitality it's interesting to have load split off of endurance, adaptability is useless for dodging from what I've tried with it, if your competent with dodging you could beat the game without any adaptability, attunement effecting cast speed is amazing.

normal enemies:alot of them are cool, some have some nice functions the stone soldiers in drangleic castle and the ghost who come from the shrines in the crypt for an example, I do hate the fact that most enemies are oversized.

level design:too many obvious ambushes and fall death focused areas i wasn't too surprised by anything and that was just a bit of a let down, many levels look too similar for me also

magic:I really like how magic scales now and some of the new spells, soul vortex and and soul greatsword being personal favorites of mine.

weapons: I got three things to say, check out whips in this game maybe one of the best dex weapon in all of souls, lances are AMAZING, and some weapons in the late game can cast spells which can be buffed by having an enchantment on said weapon my day was made by that.

armor: I love the armor in this game it really helps, right now i'm using ruins sentinel leggings and chestpiece with syan's helmet and gloves and it really reminds me of something from the ps1 era.

pvp:meh my build at 150 felt really op as far as attack power went so i'm avoiding it till another patch comes out.

My overall experience on new game was dissapointing but I am halfway through ng++ as of today and have to say the difficulty increase is nice making the game much more interesting.

#9 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

So I'm inclined to agree with Poseidal on level caps for PvP.

I spent a few hours yesterday trying to farm titinate chunks as a bell bro and there definitely is no way to really enforce the level cap, so you need to be prepared to play around it. (hint: I got squished)

I'm pretty bad at PvP but when my target can shrug off 1.5k damage or drink estus while two people attack them or have 8 crystal soul spears + Sunlight Spear + Sunlight blade (or all of the above, lol) I tend to think they are over the SL 150 that I'm playing at. The soul memory mechanic is an issue since I have 6 or 8 mil SM on this character.

To be clear, I have nothing against these players for being over-leveled. I am making a choice to intrude on their single player adventure, if I run across someone at SL 700 and get roflstomp'd its my own fault and I deserve it. I'm keeping my SL at 150 because I had a SL 230 character in DS1, it made the game too easy. Even on NG+ 5/6 the character was pretty much invincible and could mow down bosses in seconds. I enjoyed the game more when I used a SL 80ish character up till NG+3, so I'm capping myself here.

Do you guys follow the 150 level cap? And if so, why?

#10 Maze

Maze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    rottenbreed

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

On my pve character were I'm just testing stuff out and don't feel like having to restat my character I completely ignore the level cap.
My pvp or co op character I might just stop at 140.

Also dual clubs=amazing

#11 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:20 AM

The Havel Mage, a disgusting creature.

Although magic seems to have gotten a nerf in the new patch I see people using it constantly anyway. maybe I just suck, but I'm starting to think I'd be better off running a caster than a melee build.

#12 B1gB4ddy

B1gB4ddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • AC Type:
    Four legged crab monsters
  • PSNID:
    B1gB4ddy
  • LIVE Tag:
    B1g B4ddy

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

Although magic seems to have gotten a nerf in the new patch I see people using it constantly anyway. maybe I just suck, but I'm starting to think I'd be better off running a caster than a melee build.

I don't seem to have much problems with casters, but that's because most of the ones I've fought against don't seem to learn that using the same predictable spell and casting it at regular intervals does not make it effective if I keep dodging it or rolling through it. :P

Defeat is just temporary. I will return, and I will beat you eventually!

#13 Not-Hunter

Not-Hunter

Srash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • AC Type:
    HRJ/L Tank/L MBP
  • PSNID:
    ShinyHunter7
  • LIVE Tag:
    Shinyhunter7 (Current)
  • SkypeID:
    not.hunter

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

I don't seem to have much problems with casters, but that's because most of the ones I've fought against don't seem to learn that using the same predictable spell and casting it at regular intervals does not make it effective if I keep dodging it or rolling through it. :P

"I AM GOING TO DO THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN. THIS IS NOT IN ANY WAY PREDICTABLE."

-Py687

#14 Maze

Maze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    rottenbreed

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

Lightning spears of any sort+lolnoculars is completely op I spiked 1400 damage on a guy trying to dodge my sunlight spear ealier thanks to them, so if you wanna caster and your competent aiming with the binoculars theres something fun to use for a laugh.

#15 Maze

Maze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    rottenbreed

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

Also I saw a rumor for something called project beast by fromsoft there are some screen shots of it looks like a next gen souls game.

#16 Sardoniscorn

Sardoniscorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

any1 on 360 can add me. ill fuck you hardm SL 150.

almost rank 3 in BoB arena.

#17 Parry

Parry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    ParryACO

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

Rogan, you up for some bro-op later?

Gotta make that 80 STR build because DUAL KUGS, BITCHES.

#18 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

I get off work at midnight, will you still be on?

#19 Parry

Parry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    ParryACO

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

Nope. Won't be on for a while. PS3 died.

#20 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

Nope. Won't be on for a while. PS3 died.

But i had a character planned out and everyhing D:

His name was to be HOBSON

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq