• LocationIowa
  • AC Type:
    whatever
  • PSNID:
    topnotchpilot95
  • SkypeID:
    XanderGreywofl95

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

One of my friends was going against another team on ACVD and he was being accused of using a lag switch. He doesn't know what a lag switch is. What is it exactly? I looked it up and I think it's some sort of hack or mod.

Fear is a disease for which there is no cure.

#22 Stravern

Stravern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • AC Type:
    "Scrub-Meta ACs" - everyone loves those!~ <3
  • PSNID:
    Stravern
  • SkypeID:
    skypeid:

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

it's some sort of hack or mod.

http://en.wikipedia.... ... ficial_lag

Yep.

UUmIUH1.pngzYkBnMR.pngIoyUcVq.png

#23 Xander95

Xander95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • AC Type:
    whatever
  • PSNID:
    topnotchpilot95
  • SkypeID:
    XanderGreywofl95

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

it's some sort of hack or mod.

http://en.wikipedia.... ... ficial_lag

Yep.

Thanks. I'll send him the URL so he can read through it.

#24 Xander95

Xander95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • AC Type:
    whatever
  • PSNID:
    topnotchpilot95
  • SkypeID:
    XanderGreywofl95

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

I have been looking online and found it SK Enhancer is a form of malware and I was wondering if anybody knows how to get rid of it. I tried to uninstall it through the Add Remove Programs utility and it didn't uninstall. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? I really don't want my PC to be a breeding ground for viruses.

#25 Nescient

Nescient

nope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • AC Type:
    Black, RWD
  • PSNID:
    T56
  • LIVE Tag:
    428/393 @7200/3600rpm

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

kill it with fire?

Close the door, put out the light.

#26 Py687

Py687

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationACU
  • AC Type:
    Live and Learn
  • PSNID:
    Pky687
  • LIVE Tag:
    Pky687

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

If you're getting a new laptop then how much does this really matter?

I recently encountered a virus named 406-tnpv.x but haven't found a way to get rid of it. It pops up now and again whenever I come to the forums ... Anyone else have suggestions?

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

#27 Stravern

Stravern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    Stravern
  • SkypeID:
    skypeid:

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

If you google "SK Enhancer" it will show several links about it including several ways to remove it (of which it seems like you have only tried one way). Also, if its that 2001 laptop, and requires a large amount of work, I believe its not worth it.
Here is link - https://www.google.c... ... 3&ie=UTF-8

I recently encountered a virus named 406-TNPv.x but haven't found a way to get rid of it. It pops up now and again whenever I come to the forums ... Anyone else have suggestions?

lulz, contact an admin.

#28 Xander95

Xander95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • AC Type:
    whatever
  • PSNID:
    topnotchpilot95
  • SkypeID:
    XanderGreywofl95

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

What is it? I try to install certain software like Google Chrome and it say DecodePointer could not be found in KERNEL32.dll. Any ideas on how to fix this?

#29 Nomrah

Nomrah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • AC Type:
    The type I can train.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

Just type DecodePointer along with KERNEL32.dll in any search engine and you should find answers.

#30 Stravern

Stravern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    Stravern
  • SkypeID:
    skypeid:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

If one types "DecodePointer" in the google search bar, it automatically fills in "KERNEL32.dll", which means the issue is popular and you are likely to find your issue solved rather quickly. I do not know of anything of the problem, sorry.

Sometimes, I think TNP is just too lazy to google stuff and resorts to using ACL's Tech Talk section for "help".

#31 Gladiale

Gladiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Perhaps we should specify that this subforum is intended for talks about tech through sharing coding techniques, building computer rigs and such. Not for customer support.
Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.

#32 Nomrah

Nomrah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • AC Type:
    The type I can train.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

That's awesome

But yeah TNP remember what I told you, use the Raid. You could look at google links all day, or you could just go to town on the internals and let it dry overnight, just don't breathe the fumes!

#33 Nomrah

Nomrah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • AC Type:
    The type I can train.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

No kidding, 15 out of 20 threads started by the TNPster himself, and this isn't the first time he's been referred to google for answers.

#34 Xander95

Xander95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • AC Type:
    whatever
  • PSNID:
    topnotchpilot95
  • SkypeID:
    XanderGreywofl95

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

I was talking to some of my buddies and I am gonna just reinstall the OS. That will fix it. To all that read this in the future, if you ever have this problem just reinstall the OS. That might fix it.

#35 Narf

Narf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • AC Type:
    light RJ/quad
  • PSNID:
    pyronarf

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

reinstalling the os is a little heavy handed when its just a driver problem with your mouse rofl....

#36 Xander95

Xander95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • AC Type:
    whatever
  • PSNID:
    topnotchpilot95
  • SkypeID:
    XanderGreywofl95

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

I know that as long as their has been Mac and PC, people have arguing about why one is better than the other. I want to know what your standing is. Do you prefer Mac or PC? Me, I prefer PC because I grew up around PC. My family uses ONLY PC. I also know that Linux is another option and it is like Mac. They are both less likely to be hacked. The main reason I prefer Windows over Mac is because of the desktop. It is easier to navigate unlike the scrambled look of Mac. I used to use Mac when I was in high school because I had no other choice. It was good but I still prefered PC. Let me know what you guys think.

#37 Stravern

Stravern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    Stravern
  • SkypeID:
    skypeid:

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

PC - just cause.

They are both less likely to be hacked.

Its because no one really wants to hack a dead system compared to PC.

#38 Xander95

Xander95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • AC Type:
    whatever
  • PSNID:
    topnotchpilot95
  • SkypeID:
    XanderGreywofl95

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

But from what I have noticed, both systems (Linux and Mac) are still going strong. Many people are still using them.

#39 error

error

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Locationerror
  • AC Type:
    error error error error error
  • PSNID:
  • LIVE Tag:
  • SkypeID:
    error error error

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

OSX is not dead at all, in fact it makes up nearly 20% of the market-- if not more-- all while being under one company. Windows is used by multiple companies and custom-built computers. Apple used to be a computer-first company before they hit it huge with the iPhone, but they still make great computers.

Anyways, I think anybody who partakes in the mac vs pc debate is beyond silly and just plain stupid, also most likely young with nothing else to do other than argue over the internet over pointless banter; use whatever you like or need. I personally grew up using Macs and still use Macs to this day. I prefer the form factor of apple computers, I prefer navigating through OSX, and I prefer some of the features of OSX. I still have windows when I need it though.

#40 Leos Klein

Leos Klein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • AC Type:
    High Speed Midweight Bipedal
  • PSNID:
    NikolaiDoctrine

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

There are 3 significant differences between the two:

1. Licensing:

Microsoft is a software company that outsources the machines to others. This means that they get a wide variety of programs, services, companies, etc. that use them creating a much larger "ecosystem" for its users. This subsidizes the cost of the operation through standards, so that any Windows-equipped machine is compatible with others. This is why, for generally the same specs, a windows computer is universally cheaper than an Apple computer.

Apple is a hardware company that is now putting out software at a fast rate. Control of their hardware means that without outsourcing or license agreements, their devices necessitate higher prices to meet the same margins. This is what happens when a company does both jobs at once. Additionally, they have a much smaller ecosystem of programs, users, etc, because they do not allow simply anyone to program for their hardware. However, this is slowly changing.

2. Goals and Direction

Microsoft's goal with Windows was to make the most efficient, intuitive, effective operating system for completing work. Windows 7, XP, and 2000 all remain the fastest (in terms of time it takes to complete a task) Operating systems available that do not require significant special training (aka, Linux or some custom OS). However, with both easier to use versions of Linux, more efficient versions of Apple OS (OSX, namely, which is pretty damn efficient from what I've heard...) and less efficient versions of Windows (Windows 8, which added many intermediate steps inside simple tasks that weren't there in Windows 7) this too is changing.

In this way, Windows can be seen like a custom watch, a race car, or a cup of espresso. Utilitarian, simple, and gets the job done without unnecessary stuff. Windows 8 is what happens when you add glow-in-the-dark dials to the watch, padded seats to the race car, or milk to your espresso. It might be more comfortable and pretty, but worse at doing what it needs to do.

Apple however, aimed to provide holistic hardware and software experiences. This means they care less about how long it takes you to complete a simple task, or how efficiently the machine runs, as much as they care about how you feel when you're using it. This is a very different approach to marketing, in that they aim not for quantifiable advances (things that can be measured) but qualified advances (things that imply a level of sophistication, luxury, etc.)

In this way, Apple is a Fancy watch, a Toyota Camry/Volkswagen Passat, or a Cappuchino. Comfortable, tastes great, requires no knowledge of how it works on the inside, but is generally more expensive and less efficient at the tasks you need it to do, no matter how nice it will feel to own it.

3. Management

For many years, Bill Gates ruthlessly managed Microsoft, getting the best inventions from Intel, Adobe, and Apple and beating numerous companies to the market. His goals was not to compete with other computer manufacturers, but to simply be on top of the market so well that no one else can compete. It is a command and conquer management style. Apple invented the Crossbow, so Microsoft builds a gun. Same task, but Microsoft's is faster, stronger, and better.

Since Gates's departure as head management (about the time he hit $100Bn...) and the breakup of the Microsoft Monopoly things have changed drastically. Now Microsoft is more for maintenance and updates with various softwares, and hasn't put out anything very innovative for a long time.

Apple, on the contrary, started off using other company's software and ideas and trying to package them in cheap, but durable machining. In the early days of Apple, their machines did nothing more that a corporate PC couldn't do technologically, but came at lower costs, size, and with better aesthetics.

After the microsoft breakup however, the roles relatively changed and now Apple is primarily based around providing unique hardware and technological advantages (things like the iPhone, OSX) and Microsoft has done little in the way of innovation, instead trying to cultivate a better aesthetic around their products (metro interface).

Or, in simpler terms... Apple:
Posted Image

Microsoft:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq