• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • AC Type:
    Snipers
  • PSNID:
    OOSparrow

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:52 AM

I'm planning to invest in a gaming laptop over the summer, as my current laptop's integrated graphics card only just does the job and it gets unhealthily hot, so a dedicated purpose-built system is needed. Both of the Windows-based laptops don't come with an OS as I'll install W7 64bit myself.

I have three options (so far):

- XMG P304: http://mysn.co.uk/xmg-p304
Quad-Core i7 2.5ghz
x2 4GB (8GB) Ballistix DDR3 RAM
500GB/8GB HDD/SSD Seagate Hybrid Drive
Nvidia GTX GeForce 860M
£850

- Chillblast Defiant 2 Mini 13 http://www.chillblas... ... aptop.html
Quad-Core i7 2.4ghz
x2 4GB (8GB) PC3-12800 DDR3 RAM
1000GB Seagate Hybrid Drive
Nvidia GTX GeForce 860M
£899

- Apple MacBook Pro Mid-2012 15inch Retina http://support.apple.com/kb/sp653
Only reason this is here is as I currently have a Mac and WOULD like to stay with it if this model and can minimally do the job, but hey.

Feedback appreciated. Think it's mostly a matter of branding. My gut has been XMG for a long time, but still undecided as they're almost essentially the same machine.
When the world turns on you, turn to yourself.

#2 Leos Klein

Leos Klein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • AC Type:
    High Speed Midweight Bipedal
  • PSNID:
    NikolaiDoctrine

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

Is desktop out of the question? For this level of performance you could probably assemble a desktop PC yourself with better specs for less price.

Otherwise, the XMG looks alright. Outside of the dedicated graphics card, there isn't much that sets it apart from a normal business laptop.

For example, HP has a $250 off sale going on right now and you can get a laptop like this: http://www.shopping.... ... ERGY-STAR- I spec'd it up to about $900.

It's technically not a gaming laptop, but you get a GT 750M with ~4GB memory, which is a bit of step down from the 860M with ~2GB memory, but it's also a lot less expensive for a small trade-off.

Total is about 900 dollars, or 662 euros. The PMG at the same spec? 956 Euros, or nearly ~50% more expensive for a slightly improved graphics card, and no operating system. If you put an OS from the factory on the XMG (like the HP has) that's another 67 euros. It may have less street cred, but dollars for performance, unless you're gunning for laptops in the "extremely expensive" range, it's almost universally better to get a "high end" laptop vs a "low end" gaming laptop.

It's like the Audi A3. It's frame, engine, transmission, and safety equipment are virtually the same as the Volkswagen Golf, but it costs 2x more because they have a fancy badge and improved interiors (at least over here in the US, where Audi commands a high premium price). That's not to say that the top-end Audi A8 isn't amazing, but when the Audi and the VW overlap in parts, the end product is decidedly overpriced.

However, if you can't find those discounts on "business" laptops in your area, or if they won't ship to you, then you might have to pass.

#3 Ostardva

Ostardva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • AC Type:
    Snipers
  • PSNID:
    OOSparrow

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:56 AM

Desktop is out of the question purely because I want one mobile machine that I can work and game on. I've owned 10 to 15 inch machines and also want to stick at a 13 inch form factor (which both of those laptops are). 13 inch seems rack the price up, but considering I've been buying Macs for 4 years £850 seems very reasonable to me hah.

#4 Nescient

Nescient

nope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • AC Type:
    Black, RWD
  • PSNID:
    T56
  • LIVE Tag:
    428/393 @7200/3600rpm

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

What's business? My largely uneducated 2c is to get a desktop for gaming and a laptop for work (assuming work demands little in way of graphics etc). Macs integrated graphics card is a joke, I could barely run SC2 on mine and it would be hot enough to cook an egg.

Close the door, put out the light.

#5 Ostardva

Ostardva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • AC Type:
    Snipers
  • PSNID:
    OOSparrow

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:08 AM

What's business? My largely uneducated 2c is to get a desktop for gaming and a laptop for work (assuming work demands little in way of graphics etc). Macs integrated graphics card is a joke, I could barely run SC2 on mine and it would be hot enough to cook an egg.

I visit friends quite often and would like to be able to game if I'm visiting home etc. which I often do (travel abit). Had a desktop recently and just not got on with being glued to my seat. Like all my files and games etc in one place, on the go, feels better that way.

My MacBook can play SCII well, but yeah it gets damn hot. The Iris Integrated graphics are damned powerful, but just heat management.
I've read reviews and watched gameplay / tutorials etc of the XMG P304 and it seems to cool well and last well.

#6 Leos Klein

Leos Klein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • AC Type:
    High Speed Midweight Bipedal
  • PSNID:
    NikolaiDoctrine

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

A lot of it also depends on what kind of games you'll be playing. Want to play Skyrim on high settings? You'll need a lot of rendering capability and memory, but if you're playing Starcraft or some other RTS, processing power is probably more important. I'm a newbie when it comes to PC gaming though, but you might be best to play to your strengths.

#7 Xander95

Xander95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • AC Type:
    whatever
  • PSNID:
    topnotchpilot95
  • SkypeID:
    XanderGreywofl95

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

I will hunt you down and smash your future laptop if it turns out to be a Mac. The others are nice but I would personally go with the XMG. It has damn good hardware. Now, if it has Win8, downgrade to Win7. More gamer friendly.

Fear is a disease for which there is no cure.

#8 error

error

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Locationerror
  • AC Type:
    error error error error error
  • PSNID:
  • LIVE Tag:
  • SkypeID:
    error error error

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

Macs are supposed to get hot to the touch. Their all aluminum bodies act as heat sinks.

I say this all depends on what type of games you're trying to play, and what the percentage is of games to regular computer tasks you're trying to do. Those first two computers are big and bulky for a reason, while the macbook is small and sleek for a reason.

#9 Ostardva

Ostardva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • AC Type:
    Snipers
  • PSNID:
    OOSparrow

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

I'd be gaming over the summer but I think it'd be 65% work and 35% gaming.

Games I play are MMORPGs and RTS.

#10 error

error

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Locationerror
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
  • LIVE Tag:
  • SkypeID:
    error error error

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

MMORPGs and RTS games are usually light on the graphical requirements. I'd get the macbook personally, but everybody has a different level of familiarity with the two operating systems. I do know there are other laptops out there from other companies that are less game oriented and less bulky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq