• LocationThe top part of North America
  • AC Type:
    Trying a bit of everything for now
  • PSNID:
    RubyDragonStar04 (Vita)
  • LIVE Tag:
    RubyDracoStar

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

So I had managed to get my hands on For Answer a while ago after a friend of mine kept saying I should try out one of the 4th gen AC games. Just felt like putting down some of my thoughts after somehow managing to clear all Collared and Orca ranked matches, as well as all 42 missions on Normal:

- Not sure about anyone else, but the NEXTs feel so much more mobile than the ACs in 5/Verdict Day. Going back to Verdict Day afterwards was a little hard for me, so I can only imagine how it must of been at first for some people.

- Arms Forts. The feeling of overcoming them first time, especially those like Spirit of Motherwill and Answerer.

- I love the story, and how they put in three possible endings. I prefer the Orca path most, Collared is a close second. Old King.. the final mission is fun, because it tests you big time (IMO), but I just don't really like the outcome. The second to last mission sorta makes me feel a little sick at what you have to do.

- Touching on the previous point, after going through some of ACVD again afterwards, it felt like the Old King ending is the canon (spelling?) one.. if 4th and 5th gens are in the same universe.

Like the topic title said, these are just random thoughts that I felt like sharing since I wasn't able to do so earlier. n.n;

Life can be like a Pokemon battle. You can be doing fine and then you get haxed for the next five battles. But that doesn't change your chances in the future. No matter how many times you're knocked down you can move on if you can still get up again. Just keep setting up and countering until you see the momentum changing.

#2 Not-Hunter

Not-Hunter

Srash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • AC Type:
    HRJ/L Tank/L MBP
  • PSNID:
    ShinyHunter7
  • LIVE Tag:
    Shinyhunter7 (Current)
  • SkypeID:
    not.hunter

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

- Not sure about anyone else, but the NEXTs feel so much more mobile than the ACs in 5/Verdict Day. Going back to Verdict Day afterwards was a little hard for me, so I can only imagine how it must of been at first for some people.

- Touching on the previous point, after going through some of ACVD again afterwards, it felt like the Old King ending is the canon (spelling?) one.. if 4th and 5th gens are in the same universe.

Well, NEXTs certainly travel at much higher speeds than 5th-generation ACs, or any other generation of ACs, for that matter. Whether you like 4th over the others can sometimes be preference. I don't know how to handle a NEXT myself, so I can't really add anything more useful than that.

There's been a lot of speculation that generations 4 and 5 share a common universe, due to a special sortie boss bearing a striking resemblance to motherwill, some of the wreckages on certain maps, the presence of kojima particles, and the existence of N-WGIX. (Which is said to be short for NEXT-White Glint IX)

Nothing is confirmed about the common universe, though.

"Everyone wants furry sex if it's with glaceon"

-Py687

Twitter: @Shinyhunter7
{C}https://twitter.com/Shinyhunter7

#3 B1gB4ddy

B1gB4ddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • AC Type:
    Four legged crab monsters
  • PSNID:
    B1gB4ddy
  • LIVE Tag:
    B1g B4ddy

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:45 AM

In terms of favourite AC games, 4 and 4A are my least favourite in the series (But they are still AWESOME games). 

I find that the NEXTs are a bit too flashy for my tastes, which is why I prefer 3rd and 5th gen. 3rd gen felt like the right amount of balance between flashy and realism, and 5th gen was a interesting take on the series.

What I did like about 4 and 4A was the introduction of a third defence type (Primal Armor), quick boost, and infinite ground boost. everything else was either a "meh" or "WI don't particularly like this decision"

Still an excellent game though. I still play it fairly frequently.

Defeat is just temporary. I will return, and I will beat you eventually!

#4 RubyDragonStar

RubyDragonStar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    RubyDragonStar04 (Vita)
  • LIVE Tag:
    RubyDracoStar

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

I know nothing is confirmed, but the nods to 4th gen in Verdict Day (don't know if 5 has any as well) make me believe there is something. If not, well it's still neat what FromSoft has done.

I sadly don't have access to 3rd gen AC games, but I am working on getting access after being told they were on the PSN store.

A silly thing I did in one my third playthrough. I wanted to emulate the opening of the game, so I pretty much made White Glint since I had all the parts (but not enough FRS memory for the schematic) to go fight Motherwill and managed to S rank the mission. (was only able to get A rank in the first playthrough, second playthrough I fought AF Cabracan)

Life can be like a Pokemon battle. You can be doing fine and then you get haxed for the next five battles. But that doesn't change your chances in the future. No matter how many times you're knocked down you can move on if you can still get up again. Just keep setting up and countering until you see the momentum changing.

#5 B1gB4ddy

B1gB4ddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    B1gB4ddy
  • LIVE Tag:
    B1g B4ddy

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

I know nothing is confirmed, but the nods to 4th gen in Verdict Day (don't know if 5 has any as well) make me believe there is something. If not, well it's still neat what FromSoft has done.

In ACV there are a few ORCA banners that can be seen in Father's city. That right there is a nod to 4A.

#6 RubyDragonStar

RubyDragonStar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    RubyDragonStar04 (Vita)
  • LIVE Tag:
    RubyDracoStar

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

In ACV there are a few ORCA banners that can be seen in Father's city. That right there is a nod to 4A.

Huh, that is indeed quite the nod. Another fun thing, is me realizing what are some of the things I've seen in ACVD after playing For Answer.

#7 Parry

Parry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • AC Type:
    Pre-AC5: Heavies, post AC5: tanks
  • PSNID:
    ParryACO

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:44 AM

Considering VD is a continuation of ForA's story, this is to be expected.

"Those who seek power are the absolute corruptible."

#8 March Unto Torment

March Unto Torment

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LIVE Tag:
    Zero Reaper 00

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:16 AM

Gen 4 will, for me, always be the iconic generation of Armored Core, partially because it's what I started with. Every time I go back to it, I'm stunned by the story, the aesthetics, the characters, the gameplay... everything just feels so strong and immersive compared to V. VD was a lot better, but still no match for Gen 4.

Personally, AC4 is actually my favourite, because of the above-mentioned reasons. FA's gameplay was superior on almost every level (it felt so much smoother, faster and more responsive), but I absolutely loved the aesthetic, characters and storyline of 4. It really got me hooked on the series, and there's so much that I wish was explored about 4's story. Little tidbits (like mentioning that Sara Angelic, one of the Lynx you fight in the Simulations, is a child soldier) lead to infinite imagination for someone like me.

I'm really glad they linked VD's story to FA. Personally, I take the approach that V follows on from Old King's ending (which explains both the overwhelming planetary destruction and the loss of NEXT tech - Strayed is the last surviving Lynx at the end of that path), and that Strayed is the 'Dark Raven' of myth (which I need to write a short explanation of sometime).

This in itself is partially because it adds a fascinating dimension to the Reaper Squad. Their desire to destroy anyone with potential is to prevent a repeat of the Old King incident, where one pilot became capable of overpowering the entire world. I like the idea of them as well-intentioned extremists who've tried to find a positive use for their addiction to combat, as opposed to just being outright crazy (and thus, boring).

#9 B1gB4ddy

B1gB4ddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    B1gB4ddy
  • LIVE Tag:
    B1g B4ddy

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

Personally, AC4 is actually my favourite, because of the above-mentioned reasons. FA's gameplay was superior on almost every level (it felt so much smoother, faster and more responsive), but I absolutely loved the aesthetic, characters and storyline of 4. It really got me hooked on the series, and there's so much that I wish was explored about 4's story. Little tidbits (like mentioning that Sara Angelic, one of the Lynx you fight in the Simulations, is a child soldier) lead to infinite imagination for someone like me.

I didn't like the fact that a NEXT could get shredded in 5 seconds flat once its Primal Armor was gone. You'd think an Armored Core would have a bit more Armor on it...

#10 March Unto Torment

March Unto Torment

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LIVE Tag:
    Zero Reaper 00

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

I actually liked that - it made a good explanation for why PA was considered such an overwhelmingly powerful factor, and it seemed to me to quite realistically represent the armour you'd be sticking on something of that mobility.

#11 Skylark_J

Skylark_J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationLondon, U.K.
  • AC Type:
    Praxis Heavy Bipedal
  • PSNID:
    Skylark_J

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

I was playing acfa and in the opening cutscene there's a ball that fires off White Glint. I've always wondered what it was.

Attached Files

#12 Maze

Maze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • AC Type:
    Howie cqc with Nergal, random crap while mercing.
  • PSNID:
    rottenbreed

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:07 AM

I was playing acfa and in the opening cutscene there's a ball that fires off White Glint. I've always wondered what it was.

fuel tank for the vob

#13 Skylark_J

Skylark_J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationLondon, U.K.
  • AC Type:
    Praxis Heavy Bipedal
  • PSNID:
    Skylark_J

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:17 AM

Ah ok. I thought it came off a bit too early which confused me a bit, but seeing the second one makes more sense. 

#14 Nescient

Nescient

nope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • AC Type:
    Black, RWD
  • PSNID:
    T56
  • LIVE Tag:
    428/393 @7200/3600rpm

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:13 PM

I didn't like the fact that a NEXT could get shredded in 5 seconds flat once its Primal Armor was gone. You'd think an Armored Core would have a bit more Armor on it...

have you tried this against a tank?

(tanks ruin my shit...)

Close the door, put out the light.

#15 Cerazor

Cerazor

Pilot

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWagga Wagga, Australia
  • AC Type:
    Medium

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:33 AM

Honestly my favorite part of the game was the fights against the Arms Forts and the really nice story about mercenaries stuck on a diseased planet being forced to fight in a never ending battle for survival.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq