• 503 posts
  • AC Type:
    Four legged crab monsters
  • PSNID:
    B1gB4ddy
  • LIVE Tag:
    B1g B4ddy

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:26 AM

So I recently joined a Kendo club in order to fill that Sword shaped hole in my chest that has been there ever since I quit fencing a few years ago. After attending a few practices, I can safely say that I have found a small home away from home :3

In other sports or martial arts, I would get blisters or small injuries, and feel like a wimp whenever it would happen. But what I like about Kendo is that every time you do get "hurt" you just want to get right back up and keep going. The senseis are not afraid to tell you when you're doing something wrong, why it's wrong, and what you should do to correct it, which is another thing that I absolutely love. 

Another great thing about it is that there is a very beautiful complexity to its simple techniques. Even after half a month of non-stop Men, Dou and Kote practices (I'm still not ready to do the neck strike yet), I'm still messing up my strikes because I'm too busy making them more complicated than they need to be. I've quickly learned that learning to do something simple properly is also paradoxically one of the hardest things you will ever learn. 

Is there anyone else on here that practices Kendo?

Defeat is just temporary. I will return, and I will beat you eventually!

#2 DaFume

DaFume

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx
  • AC Type:
    no feet
  • PSNID:
    DaFume

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

nope but it sounds fun

#3 FromCheng

FromCheng

Tolima.

• Administrators
  • 547 posts
  • LocationTolima.
  • AC Type:
    Tolima
  • PSNID:
    FromCheng FromCheng_EU
  • LIVE Tag:
    N/A

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:19 AM

Always wanted to try Kendo, but never got a chance because my school doesn't offer it and anywhere else costs a fair bit of money.

I've taken up Fencing though and I love it. The flexibility and lightness of the blade let's you do some amazing things at lightning fast speeds.

-Final Boss, wields Tolima

#4 B1gB4ddy

B1gB4ddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    B1gB4ddy
  • LIVE Tag:
    B1g B4ddy

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:16 AM

Always wanted to try Kendo, but never got a chance because my school doesn't offer it and anywhere else costs a fair bit of money.

I've taken up Fencing though and I love it. The flexibility and lightness of the blade let's you do some amazing things at lightning fast speeds.

Yeah, Fencing was pretty cool. It's actually kind of hard to get used to the Kendo because my old Fencing habits tend to try and kick in whenever I'm striking my targets (Especially the footwork). 

One exercise in Kendo, however, reminded me a fair bit of Fencing. They had me put my hand on my hip and hold the Shinai (Bamboo sword) with my left hand so that I had to slowly strike a dummy with just my left hand in order to get the motion correct for the swing. The reason I was not allowed to use my right hand was because the right hand is only there to support a bit of weight and does not help in most of the swings. 

And speaking of cost, My Kendo club isn't that bad when it comes to money. I'm sure if you keep looking you'll find a place that doesn't charge an astronomical amount of money for you to attend. 

#5 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:54 AM

I did both fencing and Kendo in college but have not been able to find a new place to train or practice either since finishing undergrad. I also want to find a place to train in Muay Thai since I'm also something of a martial arms nut. But having to drive 30 minutes to a dojo is a no-go.

You mentioned fencing, what weapons? I did foil for years and was starting to pick up saber before I dropped off.

Anything can be solved with the proper application of explosives

#6 B1gB4ddy

B1gB4ddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    B1gB4ddy
  • LIVE Tag:
    B1g B4ddy

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

I used a foil and an épée. There were a few sabers at my old Fencing club but we never used them.

#7 FromCheng

FromCheng

Tolima.

• Administrators
  • 547 posts
  • LocationTolima.
  • AC Type:
    Tolima
  • PSNID:
    FromCheng FromCheng_EU
  • LIVE Tag:
    N/A

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

Foil all the way for me. School didn't offer Epee or Saber, but after watching videos of the two I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been that interesting anyway.

-Final Boss, wields Tolima

#8 RubyDragonStar

RubyDragonStar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationThe top part of North America
  • AC Type:
    Trying a bit of everything for now
  • PSNID:
    RubyDragonStar04 (Vita)
  • LIVE Tag:
    RubyDracoStar

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:08 PM

I would love to try out either fencing or kendo.. but sadly, there isn't anything in the area for me to attend. =/

Life can be like a Pokemon battle. You can be doing fine and then you get haxed for the next five battles. But that doesn't change your chances in the future. No matter how many times you're knocked down you can move on if you can still get up again. Just keep setting up and countering until you see the momentum changing.

#9 banned

banned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

i was sho-dan in kendo

then i quit

i am banned

#10 Demon19

Demon19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • AC Type:
    H-MBP up to Fortress Quad
  • PSNID:
    X__Hemlock__X
  • SkypeID:
    xxhemlock_x

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

No no nooooo.....GAH I can feel it more free time slipping away as i now want to find someplace to do kendo. I've been wanting to do it, but resorted to youtube videos because im lazy and don't want to have to pay the little spending money i have left on classes. Maybe once i get a better job.

...I be ROLFin' they hatin' cause i be 1 shottin', i be one shottin', i be one shottin'...

'oh who am i kidding. HIDE BEHIND ALL THE TANKS AND SHIELDS.'

#11 Nanabosho

Nanabosho

I Mod This Place

• Moderators
  • 493 posts
  • AC Type:
    Mid-Biped Karasawa Poke

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

did kendo for bout a year when i lived west coast then switched to fencing right before i moved to east coast, got bout 8 years into it with two D ratings in foil and epee.  i highly suggest everyone to try fencing once, easy to learn!  i think its the one sport other than running that i can stick with for life.  Nationals for fencing is frigging awesome!

"True warriors do not follow paths, they make them. It is not just their desire, it is their nature."

ACL website technician

"The Irrational Moderator"

"Fun Fact: It takes 165019 energy to charge my weapon...let that sink in for a minute."

#12 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • AC Type:
    Lightweight Bipedal Blader
  • PSNID:
    FloydSetosith

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:28 AM

I've been practicing swordsmanship for a long time now. Since I was about 9 years old I've had an interest in martial arts and weapons. I practice kenjutsu more than anything else. But I like two handed swords as well. Never took kendo but I bet it's fun. I don't usually like training with shinais or bokkens though because of the weight difference. They're so light and the blades don't grab eachother when you parry or block like they do with live blades but not everybody has a pair of gauntlets so it's probably best to fight with wood or bamboo lol. No kendo schools around here though :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq