• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • AC Type:
    AC Red Sun
  • PSNID:
    DominantLegend

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

Challenge issued between Ranks 11 and 12. 

#42 DominantLegend

DominantLegend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • AC Type:
    AC Red Sun
  • PSNID:
    DominantLegend

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

Updated challenge information between Ranks 3 and 4. Rank 4  won, claiming the new Rank 3 in a 3-wins-1-loss series of matches.

#43 bottle

bottle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • PSNID:
    bottleofrumster

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

Ok dominant, it makes sense. You win this round

#44 SwiiTcHBacK

SwiiTcHBacK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • AC Type:
    Light biped

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:52 PM

Technically the rankings are more representative if they fall one rank. The person being punished by 10 ranks losing one match doesn't make any sense, particularly  if the idea is that the better player wins. If rank 3 gets pushed down to 14, then challenges number 4 to get back.. You still have number 4 dropping 10 places to 14. This cycle would have to repeat itself 10 times to get back to a "representative scale". 14 beats 3, 3 becomes 14, 14 challenges 4, 4 becomes 14, 14 challenges 5, 5 becomes 14.. 

How does it make sense to push rank 3 down to 14, allowing everybody from 4-13 to advance to being ahead of the old rank 3 without fighting them, then if the old rank 3 beats rank 4... Same happens to them.. It'll yo-yo like crazy as people will want to get back as high as they possibly can. 

#45 Intalus

Intalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • AC Type:
    low tier
  • PSNID:
    Dissocation

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:15 AM

PSN: Dissocation

Pilot Name:  Irrelevant

AC Name:  Irrelevant

You need to be rank 2 for that.. So challenge rank 3, beat em, then rank 2, beat em. Then you can challenge #1.

I'm aware.  If you have the audacity to do this:

0djQDBY.png

Then you should be put to the test.  It seems like the only reason why the arbitrary gating exists is so that the "top rankers" can prolong the duration of their ranks.  I don't care ranks that are artificially inflated.  

Calling me Disrespectful over the denvercityskies person gave me The most pleasent laugh ,Thanks that will get me through the day as that was a good troll.

#46 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:36 AM

0djQDBY.png

Then you should be put to the test.  The only reason why the arbitrary gating exists is so that he can prolong the duration that he's #1.

You just want to smack him around. XD

I agree that a ranking system simply by seniority, I.E. who joined first is kinda dumb. However the only other way to do it is to break up the ranking system and have everyone start with a certain number of points. Then whoever has the highest number of points becomes the top rankers. Within a certain rank system. (A-E), once you have more points than anyone else inside your rank, say C for example, you can then challenge the next rank up. In our example B, once you beat them you move up into the B ranks and begin gathering points via challenges all over again. The rank system needs to hold only a certain number of players per rank, say 10-12, and everyone starts in the lowest until that rank is filled. Then the highest points move up to start the next rank up so that there are slots for the lowest rank, rinse and repeat till you create a solid leaderboard.

Such a system does have some exploits, such as farming players you know you can beat to gain points. There needs to be limitations on how often you can challenge the same player within a time period and the ranks shouldn't be allowed to intermix. (No rank Bs farming rank Es to gain points to challenge a rank A, though perhaps E ranks could challenge an A rank once or twice) Even then, I don't think my solution is a perfect system, I'm sure someone could find a way to abuse it.

Anything can be solved with the proper application of explosives

#47 HyperVial

HyperVial

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationJP Server
  • AC Type:
    Unknown
  • PSNID:
    HyperVial

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:49 AM

Yeah, I think there are a few issues that were irrelevant with a small number of players, but that are now emerging as the number of players is rising quickly.

I agree that dropping 10 positions for one loss doesn't make much sense, otherwise rank 3-4 will be constantly challenged by everybody, but nobody would care to challenge between 7 and 8, since you could already challenge 5 or 4, or something like that.

Another interesting option is 2 vs 2 or also 2 vs 1 battles, that would need additional rulings as well.

I wonder what will happen when the pilers see this thread.

#48 SwiiTcHBacK

SwiiTcHBacK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • AC Type:
    Light biped

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:39 AM

It seems like the only reason why the arbitrary gating exists is so that the "top rankers" can prolong the duration of their ranks.  I don't care ranks that are artificially inflated.  

Well, personally I feel like it's there so the rankings have some form of progression without having it so you have to beat each and every member on your way up.  

#49 South Q

South Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • AC Type:
    whatever

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:32 AM

Time-outs do not count as wins and are ignored.

How come time out are disregarded? 

#50 Berlioz

Berlioz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • AC Type:
    MW/LW
  • PSNID:
    Beliroz

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

What about a rule that only lets you challenge 3 ranks above you? It would give progression to the rankings without making it super slow, or punishing players too severely for losing once.

Also, about the 14 day grace period..... Don't you think that's a long time? The way it is now you get 14 days cooldown after fighting and 14 days to respond on top of that, so basically you can go 28 days without a match.....
Something like 5 day grace period and 7 days to answer sounds more reasonable (more activity).
The cooldown should only apply if you win.

About the time outs. They should count.
Posted Image

#51 HyperVial

HyperVial

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationJP Server
  • AC Type:
    Unknown
  • PSNID:
    HyperVial

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

What about a rule that only lets you challenge 3 ranks above you? It would give progression to the rankings without making it super slow, or punishing players too severely for losing once.

Also, about the 14 day grace period..... Don't you think that's a long time? The way it is now you get 14 days cooldown after fighting and 14 days to respond on top of that, so basically you can go 28 days without a match.....
Something like 5 day grace period and 7 days to answer sounds more reasonable (more activity).
The cooldown should only apply if you win.

About the time outs. They should count.

both of b's modifications make sense to me as well...

I wonder what will happen when the pilers see this thread.

#52 SwiiTcHBacK

SwiiTcHBacK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • AC Type:
    Light biped

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

The grace would make sense for rechallenging the same player. But every player on the roster not being able to challenge does make it a rather slow progression.

#53 DominantLegend

DominantLegend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • AC Type:
    AC Red Sun
  • PSNID:
    DominantLegend

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

We will run with the current rules, if you want to discuss the rules, discuss them as theoretical until we have a chance to explore the current rules rather than demanding changes or issuing complaints. A shorter grace period and limits on how far up/down the ladder you can challenge/be challenged are things that are within the realm of possibility.

The rules are incidental. What matters is the experience you have when you fight someone.

As for time-outs, if you've done ranked on the JP server you know how badly that can affect the metagame. Time-out strategies are not the type of fighting we should be encouraging here, especially when defending players can choose the map. 

Now then...

0djQDBY.png

Then you should be put to the test.  It seems like the only reason why the arbitrary gating exists is so that the "top rankers" can prolong the duration of their ranks.  I don't care ranks that are artificially inflated.

You showed up 4 weeks late to the party and only arrived just to call someone out who has defended their rank twice already. Not a very good way to earn respect, regardless of how good you are. 

I will lose my rank eventually, it will happen, but if you're going to do it, do it as a contributing member.

Added as Rank 14.

To all: You can contribute to this community in a meaningful way by playing nice, being good sports, inviting and helping new players, and having some good matches, or you could go back to stomping on newb teams in CQ or circlejerking the old guard. The Rankings here is more about new players than it is about experienced ones.

I have zero tolerance for the toxic attitudes that I've seen leaving online play worthless in the last two years.

EDIT: Added rank results from SouthQ and Switchback, 2-0 to Switchback.

#54 Dark Strike Fighter

Dark Strike Fighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • AC Type:
    Dark Strike Fighter

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:25 PM

and just like that my interest is lost from DL's response.

Unless you have another handle with a rep in this community, you're the one who's really late to the party here dude.

I asked around when you first started this and no one knew who the hell you were.

and holy shit you're using the word "toxic" to describe how people behave online, you just confirmed you're making a hugbox arena.

and before you get it twisted, there's nothing wrong with a hugbox arena. Just properly advertise it as such to avoid confusion.

#55 DominantLegend

DominantLegend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • AC Type:
    AC Red Sun
  • PSNID:
    DominantLegend

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

Unless you have another handle with a rep in this community,

I do.

If you change your mind, let me know. If you guys don't like it, don't participate, but don't come in just to put it down if you won't get involved.

Added ranks 15, 16, and 17. Challenge information between Ranks 16 and 5 updated.

#56 Dark Strike Fighter

Dark Strike Fighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • AC Type:
    Dark Strike Fighter

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:46 PM

Before I make my final decision, a quick talk.

Pretty sure I know who you are but in case you aren't excuse the assumptions. I'm a hot-head that's tired of wasting time on overhyped bullshit.

First things first, on the net, know the difference between a critique to explain your point or idea further and a pure put down. Its part of social interaction to disagree with someone and its a good idea to learn from these arguments as opposed to shutting them out. "If you don't agree with me get out because I'm not willing to undersand your viewpoint." I have to say, the pure clean cut answer you gave me is much apprieciated, its only reason I'm still talking.

Secondly, try to understand the damn community more as opposed to pushing your personal ego into every situation. Did it not occur to you that by proclaiming that you're number one in this arena without any prior creditials to its creation, that you'd get opposition or at the very least questioned? This is where understanding competition comes into play. Competitiors don't get involved in something or someone they don't respect. You should pay attention to your actions and responses because that's where we'll draw our conclusions ...and so far you've bragged about defending a title you gave yourself twice and said a vet is "late to the party."

The fact is a lot of players want something like this to work, but it needs to have a firm foundation and the quickest way to understand that is through testing the creator. Some ask for a one-on-one, others test to see how the creator handles being poked at, because this community has little use for inflated and fragile egos in positions of self-appointed power. Already suffered too many years of that horseshit being unchecked.

So its not that it shouldn't be done, its that it should be done right. Doesn't need to be flawless, but it should at least be fun.

Thus its a test to see how you will rule and what the system is based on, fear or loyalty. On a forum or clan based arena such as this, fear of being kicked out is the easiest way to go, and its usually taken due to the creator's "fear of toxicity" as you might say. As in, the creator can't handle basic net interaction, which ends in what's called a hugbox. Hugboxes don't last long due to everyone trying to get each other banned and let their egos run rampant as opposed to interaction.

So, what does loyality look like. Its a system in which the players participate because they don't want it to end. They police it and maintain it by themselves without anyone pushing them. They maintain the set parameters of the original program because they have fun with it. They'd do anything to protect what is fun to them and the players they have fun with. Fun is freedom of expression, but at the same time they have to handle critiques and punishment before being accepted. Pay your dues as they say, "how dedicated are you to this community." Neglecting this step leads to ruin because newbies aren't loyal. They will never be loyal unless there's a reason to stay. That reason is usually because its fun. 

What newbies don't like is that they have to work for it to be fun. Now in a community, what happens if you hug all the newbies, tell them their special snowflakes and they're skills are hot shit without them putting any effort into it? You spoil them. As long as they think that you're desperate for their attention and participation they'll run this thing into the ground trying to break it as opposed to preserving it. "Its not mine, why should I care."

Loyalty is considered hard, because it means that the entire community has to police itself as opposed to a single individual. However, the concept is only scary to the socially inept, because its a system geared to kick out or recondition the socially inept. The bonus is since there's little need for policing and pushing, the community can focus on content creation and broadcasting. Loyal communities are even known to host in person events. Its a grand little secret from the beginning of the internet. Other requirements are you have to have thick skin, understand sarcasm and interact. Being funny also helps.

This is my attempt to give a damn ...again, since there's still some fun people around here.

How is the ranking system of the Arena fun and how fun is this guy DominantLegend?

Also, if neither prove to be fun is there a system for me to change it?

These are the things I need to know for my answer. Note that I'm doing something I should've when EJ and Cheng had a deal that sounded too good.

kinda feel like I need to add this:

Definition of INTERACTION : mutual or reciprocal action or influence.

Definition of PARTICIPATE : to be involved with others in doing something : to take part in an activity or event with others

#57 DominantLegend

DominantLegend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • AC Type:
    AC Red Sun
  • PSNID:
    DominantLegend

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:26 PM

The first thing I should say is that that post, while mostly unnecessary, is the type of stuff I want as part of this. It's a reflection on the community, and an intelligent one. It's a sort of hands-off ignorance that a lot of players maintain that I am trying to discourage. I don't think we disagree at all actually, but we may have found ourselves on opposite ends of the view.

Most of the rankers currently in there have played with me, and I don't make any claims to be an excellent player (I'd say I'm an 8/10). I'm not here to lord over the Arena, consider me an accountant at best.

I keep people informed and update the thread, that's it. The only administrative power I have here is on revision of the rules when that is necessary. The fact is, we're not far enough progressed into this to begin seriously critiquing those anyway. 

Outside of that, I'd like to keep this thread (relatively) free of drama.

The changes that I am considering (as mentioned in my previous post) are a reduction of the 14 day grace period and 14 day period before auto-loss (down to 7 days, perhaps), and adjustment of how the top 20% gate works. Neither of those will be a possibility until I have adequate time to look at the rules we currently have in practice.

#58 Dark Strike Fighter

Dark Strike Fighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • AC Type:
    Dark Strike Fighter

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:15 PM

Awesome answer.

Just a little formality on my part to shrug off the jaded monkey on my back.

#59 The Swordfish

The Swordfish

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • AC Type:
    Tank ,tetrapod
  • PSNID:
    VSwordFishV
  • LIVE Tag:
    Scythe014

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:34 AM

Psn: VSwordFishV

pilot name: Cpt. Sword V. Fish

Ac name : Red blade

*Fix the rules up they're shit...
"Many say the sea is cruel,but those are the same people who
would think me a monster when I show mercy"

http://m.youtube.com...?v=Do7nqXJaSDw#

http://m.youtube.com...?v=_lN2auTVavw#

Scourge of the sea

#60 Ruu

Ruu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia
  • AC Type:
    ACVD: Cinto legged Strek Mid.
  • PSNID:
    Ruuku___
  • SkypeID:
    Ruu

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:39 AM

The match between Sunnights and I has concluded

The maps were randomnly selected except for Miysnky Hills and Vosto Base Storm.

I lost two matches, and one ended via timeout.

If I had to add descriptions, it'd be these:

Ruu:

---

New, inexperienced pilot who faced the challenge with enthusiasm. He sticks to his frame, but changes the weapons. However, he sometimes makes mistakes during configuration and suffers dearly from it. He shows aptitude to improve but his sluggish movement figuratively, and literally slows him down.

Sunn:

Sunn is rather unusual, often switching entire ACs between fights. His designs are rather non-conventional but are incredibly lethal in his hands. His combat habits show a great deal of experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq