• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • AC Type:
    AC Red Sun
  • PSNID:
    DominantLegend

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:39 PM

I posted my thoughts on Jedi's idea which, ultimately isn't feasible, on the ACVD arena. Here is a quote: 

@Jedi: The original incarnation of this arena was exactly that. However, due to an extreme lack of interest, it was changed in favor of the new system, which makes it much easier to get matches and activity. The major limitations with your suggestion is that it relies on players going through significant work before they get the chance to experience the Arena. And for many, they aren't willing to commit until they have a few matches first. This creates a catch-22. 

Creating an alt is more difficult than one would think. You have to grind money and go through story mode to unlock all the parts, and the biggest limitation is creating an alt does not allow you to carry your main name and reputation publicly. At least, not readily and apparently. And while having anonymity is its own fun thing, there are far more who want to stake a rank and reputation on their main PSN handle than those who want to be anonymous. 

Merging the arena comprises of two things: 1. Merging Rules and 2. Merging Ranks.

Merging ranks would follow this formula:

If a player in your arena won a match against a player in my arena, they will be placed at the rank above the highest person they defeated. Currently, the only players in your arena who fits this description is Dissociation and Hela, who defeated Swordfish. This would place Dissociation at Rank 5, Hela at 6 (because he is a lower rank than Dissociation in my arena) and Swordfish at rank 7, the other ranks adjusted accordingly.

If they have no matches in your arena, but are a part of my arena, they would retain their rank in my arena. (Floyd, Bottle, and PDN)

If they have no matches in your arena, but are not a part of my arena, they would be added to the bottom in order of their ranking in your arena (shieldfailure, then heliosophist, then andryrock)as new members to the arena. This eliminates any "first come first serve" ranks from your arena.

The next part is merging the rules. I can say it right now, there is little place where I think the ninebreaker arena rules would benefit the arena on whole, except for solving some of people's concerns with the ACVD arena's top 20%.

My proposal is thus: 

Reform the ACVD's top 20% rules utilizing some of the Ninebreaker arena's rules, as they are the most similar types of rules. Essentially adopting portions of the Ninebreaker arena's rules and applying them to the existing ACVD Arena.

The normal Arena: (Bottom 80%, or ranks below 10)

1. Challenge anyone, 1 challenge at a time

2. 2 out of 3 victory (Faster, easier matches for less hardcore players)

3. Ranked below the Elite arena 

The Elite Arena: (Top 20%, or top 10)

1. Challenge only the rank above you

2. Two consecutive victories (More decisive matches that rely less on the rock paper scissors dynamic that 2 out of 3 does)

3. Requires a certain number of wins in the normal Arena, plus a victory against a the bottom of the Elite Arena rank according to elite arena rules to enter.

So you could essentially treat the normal arena as a fighting pit for players to enter the Elite Arena, which has more restrictive rules.

These are the terms that make the most sense if an arena merge is to happen. This kills 2 birds with one stone, facilitating a few reforms of the ACVD rules that have been discussed, while also merging the two arenas.

#42 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • AC Type:
    Lightweight Bipedal Blader
  • PSNID:
    FloydSetosith

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:25 PM

But you have to get to the top 20% before you get to old school arena. That's my only problem with it is that I prefer ranking one by one the whole arena. That way you don't have one person getting bombarded with challenges. And the top 20% will be a different number depending on how many people are in. So you'd constantly be asking yourself if you're in the top 20. I just feel like it's too confusing. I want a nice steady system. Besides, after everyone's fought everyone the rank they hold will be the rank they deserve. That's the only reason I made this arena. So that's the only thing I really care about staying the way it is. Rules on builds and choosing stages and how the matches are played etc, I don't care really.

#43 DominantLegend

DominantLegend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • AC Type:
    AC Red Sun
  • PSNID:
    DominantLegend

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:48 PM

As long as you maintain a system where you can only challenge one player above you, you will always have problems with first-come-first-serve squatters, and it will be oppressively difficult to find unique matches. You will have issues with players quitting when they cannot get past a particular enemy but are otherwise very skilled. You will have issues with players getting bored waiting for newer players to work their way up after weeks of work just to experience a new type of match. 

The risk of the arena becoming discouraging, boring, or frustrating to its members is not worth the aesthetic choice of emulating the original arenas, in my mind.

If your sole reason for creating this arena was to experience that, then you should do what Bottleofrumster is doing and go to the ACVD arena and willingly challenge each player yourself. 

#44 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    FloydSetosith

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:53 PM

If people squat and don't take part then they should be kicked after so many days of inactivity. Solves that problem. Not trying to be difficult. I just have no interest whatsoever in the "challenge anybody" setup. It doesn't make sense to me. And it allows for players to skip straight to the top. Idk. Not my cup. Like I said that's the only problem I have though. I really don't like that. Being able to jump from rank 20 to 10 means you didn't really earn it in my mind. You should have to beat everyone in your way. What your system results in is all the best players sitting in the top 20 and everyone else bouncing around challenging the one guy just under the top 20. Chaotic

#45 DominantLegend

DominantLegend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • AC Type:
    AC Red Sun
  • PSNID:
    DominantLegend

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:30 PM

I can understand your want, but I just want to make sure you understand that with that type of rule set comes a lot of logistical issues that are not easily solved and not integrable with the ACVD arena.

#46 jedipron

jedipron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • AC Type:
    Sawa Quad
  • PSNID:
    jedipron1240

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:10 AM

Why not just limit the number of people you can jump? Like you can only challenge up to two ranks above you. That seems like a good compromise

#47 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    FloydSetosith

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:55 PM

I can understand your want, but I just want to make sure you understand that with that type of rule set comes a lot of logistical issues that are not easily solved and not integrable with the ACVD arena.

What logistical issues?

Why not just limit the number of people you can jump?

Because if you can jump then people who aren't better than you can obtain ranks higher than you. I want the ranks like this so that everyone is at their true rank. If you can't beat the person above you, you'll have to wait til they knocks someone down that you can beat. Or get good enough to beat them. Plus doing the ranks like this ensures that you won't be challenged by 5 different people at once. Why exactly is it better to allow people to jump ranks?

#48 The Swordfish

The Swordfish

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • AC Type:
    Tank ,tetrapod
  • PSNID:
    VSwordFishV
  • LIVE Tag:
    Scythe014

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

post in another win for Masa
"Many say the sea is cruel,but those are the same people who
would think me a monster when I show mercy"

http://m.youtube.com...?v=Do7nqXJaSDw#

http://m.youtube.com...?v=_lN2auTVavw#

Scourge of the sea

#49 helamasa

helamasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationFinland
  • AC Type:
    Goat laboratory tech
  • PSNID:
    helamasa

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:14 PM

Challenging rank 5 Intalus.

"Helamasa needs his own wikipedia article to understand these inane self-referential memes he's created."

#50 DominantLegend

DominantLegend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • AC Type:
    AC Red Sun
  • PSNID:
    DominantLegend

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:08 PM

Answering both of floyd's questions at once:

Because "skill" is not a linear relationship. It changes constantly and is dependent heavily on the circumstances and players are never aligned in a "strongest" to "weakest". A ranking is just an estimation, and has to change just as quickly.

Player A could beat player B easily.

Player B could beat player C easily.

and player C could beat player A easily.

That's a real thing that can happen, so how would you rank them? And what about all the good players out there who haven't joined the Arena? By the time they reach high enough to show their "true" skill the whole dynamic would change. No matter what you're going to have someone at a higher rank that would lose to a lower rank.

#51 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    FloydSetosith

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

I guess I just don't see it like that. The point of the arena is to climb, in my opinion.

#52 SEB_HALLO

SEB_HALLO

Pilot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • PSNID:
    SEB_HALLO

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

Could I join the arena ?

#53 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    FloydSetosith

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

Sure no problem. Just need your main AC name and PSN ID. I'll put you in the ranks.

#54 SEB_HALLO

SEB_HALLO

Pilot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • PSNID:
    SEB_HALLO

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:02 AM

PSNID: SEB_HALLO

Main AC: PT3-Viper Scale

#55 SEB_HALLO

SEB_HALLO

Pilot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • PSNID:
    SEB_HALLO

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

I challenge AndryRock9217, please respond soon via PSN-PM.  Thanks in advance.

#56 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    FloydSetosith

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

Any matches? SEB did you and AndryRock fight yet?

#57 SEB_HALLO

SEB_HALLO

Pilot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • PSNID:
    SEB_HALLO

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

We had no fight, andry didnĀ“t answer.

#58 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    FloydSetosith

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:16 AM

K I updated the ranks. Pretty sure you went at least 7 days unanswered.

Have helamasa and intalus fought yet? If not, Intalus will forfeit their rank to helamasa.

Thinking about adding a rule to kick inactive players who have failed to accept 2 matches in a row.

Or should we just stick to ranking them down if they ignore a challenge? Don't really want newcomers (if we ever get any) to have to deal with getting past all the inactive players by waiting them out though.

And what's up rank 2-4? Come on guys I've been waiting for a fight since I started this lol.

#59 helamasa

helamasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationFinland
  • AC Type:
    Goat laboratory tech
  • PSNID:
    helamasa

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:44 AM

Intalus hasn't answered to the challenge.

"Helamasa needs his own wikipedia article to understand these inane self-referential memes he's created."

#60 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • AC Type:
  • PSNID:
    FloydSetosith

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:33 PM