• 503 posts
  • AC Type:
    Four legged crab monsters
  • PSNID:
    B1gB4ddy
  • LIVE Tag:
    B1g B4ddy

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

I just realized this a few minutes ago. It's almost been three years since ACVD was released. I still play it every now and then, but I seriously didn't notice the time go by.

Well, just another 4 years and we can finally expect to see a new Armored Core game.

Defeat is just temporary. I will return, and I will beat you eventually!

#2 Maze

Maze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • AC Type:
    Howie cqc with Nergal, random crap while mercing.
  • PSNID:
    rottenbreed

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:48 PM

Well, just another 4 years and we can finally expect to see a new Armored Core game.

I could live with that. maybe they'll have a better design team for it by then or they'll sell it to a company that actually wants to make an armored core game.

#3 Black Crow

Black Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationFinland (Crow's nest)
  • AC Type:
    LBP, HRJ, Light Quad, CQC.
  • PSNID:
    Kotileijonat
  • LIVE Tag:
    Kotileijonat

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

Not to make you feel like I never want the next Armored Core to show up, but I'm in no hurry. Probably because I got my first AC game (VD) last year and I feel like I have a ton of stuff to do there, for as long as I have ideas/keep getting ideas (UNACs, ACs, paintjobs, emblems.) and feel like playing it, which I don't think are going to die out too soon, unless I suddenly get fed up with the JP meta.

Tho to be honest, it's not been nearly as bad as people have told me.

But that might just be because of 'All the competetive teams either quit or split, or have otherwise quieted down.', like one fellow told me. But who am I to know, since I'm so new to the game?

'CAW, CAW, CAW'

#4 Soren

Soren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationYour head.
  • AC Type:
    Ones with legs.
  • PSNID:
    BHSoren

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:15 PM

Not to make you feel like I never want the next Armored Core to show up, but I'm in no hurry. Probably because I got my first AC game (VD) last year and I feel like I have a ton of stuff to do there, for as long as I have ideas/keep getting ideas (UNACs, ACs, paintjobs, emblems.) and feel like playing it, which I don't think are going to die out too soon, unless I suddenly get fed up with the JP meta.

Tho to be honest, it's not been nearly as bad as people have told me.

But that might just be because of 'All the competetive teams either quit or split, or have otherwise quieted down.', like one fellow told me. But who am I to know, since I'm so new to the game?

It really isn't as terrifying over there as it used to be. Compared to last year, the JP server is a ghost town, and it's much more difficult for people to assemble a competent team of mercs. You kinda take what you can get.

cvK0EV9.png

o8ZuuWk.png

8DZUnU1.png

#5 Black Crow

Black Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationFinland (Crow's nest)
  • AC Type:
    LBP, HRJ, Light Quad, CQC.
  • PSNID:
    Kotileijonat
  • LIVE Tag:
    Kotileijonat

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:13 PM

It really isn't as terrifying over there as it used to be. Compared to last year, the JP server is a ghost town, and it's much more difficult for people to assemble a competent team of mercs. You kinda take what you can get.

Man, if it's a ghost town now, it must've been bustling 24/7 last year. I mean, every time I've hopped on, I've found a bunch of different mercs and found games in less than a minute with just a few exceptions when there's been some connection issues.

As for forming a squad, I mean, isn't that the reason why teams exist in the first place? Though, even if you do have a team, it doesn't mean that the members are always available. I for one haven't really touched the whole console for this week, except for just an hour of playing and downloading a stupid patch for Destiny. (I should just delete that game...)

But yeah, I figured it's not as competetive as it's used to be, with what people have been telling me. Right now it hasn't felt at all that bad, but even if it was tough, the more competetive the better it is, as I've had a way of thinking for the past few years. But I've enjoyed it a lot more than INT regardless of having to start over with my AC/paint/emblem data, simply due to finding activity easily.

'CAW, CAW, CAW'

#6 Soren

Soren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationYour head.
  • AC Type:
    Ones with legs.
  • PSNID:
    BHSoren

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:18 PM

As for forming a squad, I mean, isn't that the reason why teams exist in the first place?

Yeeeeah, but teams really are of bigger importance on INT than on JP, since it's very necessary that we keep track of each other in order to even have people to play with to begin with. Most people over there however prefer going by themselves with 3 mercs. I mean-- why not? The merc reg would consistently have 20+ people in it at a time, and people were able to choose exactly what kind of team of ACs they wanted to sortie with. 9 fights out of 10, a guy and 3 mercs is what you're dealing with.

Here's what the Mercenary leaderboards looked like at the time, if you want an idea of how active the server was.

adIQLKQ.jpg

In comparison, my current Mercenary rank in JP is 448 with a score of 224,000. I had almost double that score in the screenshot above, and a much poorer rank than the 448 I have now. Still much more players than INT, but also much much less than the JP of last year. And as with any online game, the amount of bad, mediocre and average skilled players far outweighs the amount of actually strong ones. So with the playerbase as a whole dwindling, the already rare powerhouse becomes even rarer, making it much more difficult to assemble an army of gods.

Before, damn near every group you ran into was an army of gods. People from INT would just sit in the merc registry and never get hired simply because there were better, more appealing options available. Japanese players hired mercs they recognized and knew could get results. It made the game feel very dead when it actually wasn't.

Also fun fact. That screenshot was from Verdict War 31. JP is currently in Verdict War 130. 100 wars later...

cvK0EV9.png

o8ZuuWk.png

8DZUnU1.png

#7 Gripheenix

Gripheenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationLittle Podunk Town
  • AC Type:
    Jack of All Trades
  • PSNID:
    Rakiokon

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:06 AM

Still much more players than INT, but also much much less than the JP of last year. And as with any online game, the amount of bad, mediocre and average skilled players far outweighs the amount of actually strong ones. So with the playerbase as a whole dwindling, the already rare powerhouse becomes even rarer, making it much more difficult to assemble an army of gods.

Before, damn near every group you ran into was an army of gods. People from INT would just sit in the merc registry and never get hired simply because there were better, more appealing options available. Japanese players hired mercs they recognized and knew could get results. It made the game feel very dead when it actually wasn't.

Yeah, getting hired as a merc on JP, when not using a meta setup is pretty rare, actually.  Usually comes down to waiting until a nub starts spamming quick-hire, or you get a friend/return customer to come pick you up.

As for powerhouse merc teams, make no mistake, they're still out there.  Usually the same handful of people that only play with one another.  If you look closely at any teams you come across ranked S or higher, that have 3 mercs, you'll see a lot of the same names over and over again.  Though, these aren't generally amazing players, overall.  Just ones that abuse the meta, and swap between three or four reskins of the same builds.

Also, oddly enough, there is a trend for such players who seem to care about their W/L ratio, or team rank staying at SSS, for some reason, and will only play during the dead of night, Japan time, when the server isn't quite as active.  This usually allows them to either play nubby teams, with or without UNACs, for easy wins, or to continually face the same team over and over again, using hard-counter strategies.  Against the latter, they usually play until the other team hard-counters their hard-counter, take the loss, and then call it quits for the night.

Overall, though, yes, the numbers, even on JP server, have been thinning greatly.  Most of the people that are left are in one of the two groups I mentioned above, with a couple nubbins scattered in here and there.  Used to be that you could find a fight at any given time of day, just the variety of fights might not have been that diverse until certain hours.  Now, you're going to be waiting a few between fights, even during peak hours, unless you're in the middle of fighting against the same team over and over again.

But, facts are facts.  The game is old, and doesn't even have support from its devs anymore (Not that it did, once Dark Souls 2 was announced as a thing...).  Aside from that, most people jumped ship to the PS4, to play Destiny, then Metal Gear/Dragon's Dogma, and now back to Destiny again...  (Because, really, there aren't any other games worth owning on a PS4, right now...)

(Cool things happen when you click on Megaman's face.)

sig-1.png

#8 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:38 AM

But, facts are facts.  The game is old, and doesn't even have support from its devs anymore (Not that it did, once Dark Souls 2 was announced as a thing...).  Aside from that, most people jumped ship to the PS4, to play Destiny, then Metal Gear/Dragon's Dogma, and now back to Destiny again...  (Because, really, there aren't any other games worth owning on a PS4, right now...)

What, Bloodborne and Ds2: SOTFS don't count for anything? (I hate destiny)

I don't personally have a lot of trouble finding games on JP. While I admit that the quality has dropped at least the activity is there. INT on the other hand, well you need to play at odd times or only during friday/staturday (where you are better off going to JP anyway) to find games.

What has surprised me most about JP recently is the shift in builds which are seen. The last time I played the most common build was a HBP armed with sawas (Usually the X00 or K37) and HSM. Followed by Sawa quads (usually on the same team as the HBPs) and Sawarabi snipers. The super aggressive rush teams where pretty much nonexistant. The only common BR I encountered was the triple shot.

Anything can be solved with the proper application of explosives

#9 Xander95

Xander95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • AC Type:
    whatever
  • PSNID:
    topnotchpilot95
  • SkypeID:
    XanderGreywofl95

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:23 PM

I honestly hope when the new one comes out they bring back flight.  That was fun.

Fear is a disease for which there is no cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq