Photo

ACVD beginner build, story mode, early game.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMuscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Known Universe, ?
  • AC Type:
    Busted
  • PSNID:
    GildedSpaceHydra

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:19 AM

I just started story mode, using stock mechs (broken parts), managed to beat the first mission twice but can't do it consistently and have yet to beat the second mission. What type of build should I be aiming for to help me through story mode, and what are the first parts I should buy as I get money?

I've read the guides but I'm not trying to be specialized and competitive yet, I'm just trying to not get slaughtered. Also, I'm not a good pilot at all, so hopefully there is a viable build that is durable and easy to control.

Thanks.

#2 ScH00LMaN_L0GiC

ScH00LMaN_L0GiC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • PSNID:
    ScH00LMaN_L0GiC

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:42 AM

I could start the story on a new account and tell you what I would do, now that I have played the game for some time. Even catering too new pilots, since these would be the people most overwhelmed by the difficulty of an armored core game.

#3 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • AC Type:
    Busted
  • PSNID:
    GildedSpaceHydra

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:03 AM

Thanks, I know part of my issue stems from lack of mastery of the controls, but that seems like something I'll only really be able to advance toward by playing the game more.

When the game starts, there are 3 builds to choose between (i think, I've messed with things a bit) - hi mobility medium bipedal, hi mobility sniper heavy reverse joint, and sniper spec tetrapod. All three consist of "junk parts." There are other parts that can be swapped in and out, also labeled "junk part." Most of the guides recommend using things that just aren't part of these lists, obviously things I'm supposed to obtain later. However I'm only working with what I'm working with and need to optimize. I can list my current leg options if that's helpful, or whatever parts I should start with..

BTW, at this point I've also 353,791 Au.

legs:
D/ULG-10 (mbp)
D/KT-3N2 (hbp)
D/LG209 (hrj)
D/LG665 (tetra)
D/KT-IN (tank)

generators:
D/UGN-70 (hi output)
D/KV-3D2 (balanced)
D/GNE450 (hi capacity)

Boosters:
D/UBT-25 (hi accel)
D/KT-2R3 (hi power)
D/BT200 (lo consumption)

Head:
D/uhd-10 (ke resist)
D/hd226 (ce resist)
D/kt-2g3 (te resist)

Core:
D/ucr-10 (ke resist)
D/cr210 (ce resist)
D/kt-103 (te resist)

Arms:
D/uam-10 (ke resist)
D/am29 (CE resist)
D/kt-15 (te resist)

FCS:
D/UFC-10 (quick lock)
D/kv-1T2 (wide angle)
D/UFC-07 (long range)

Recon:
D/stk-16 (sticky)

I also have handgun, shotgun, Gatling, rifle, sniper rifle, battle rifle, pulse gun, pulse machine, laser rifle, laser blade, sniper cannon, heat cannon, pulse cannon, heat rocket, rocket launcher, ce missile, ciws, auto attack gun...

#4 Nescient

Nescient

nope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • AC Type:
    Black, RWD
  • PSNID:
    T56
  • LIVE Tag:
    428/393 @7200/3600rpm

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:06 AM

the mid weight is capable of passing most missions but highly skill dependent, and its drastically underpowered with junk generator booster. The fast track involves grinding it out, investing in internals, then CE head, CE arms, KE core, mid weight legs and weapons in that order. Around D-rank you have a passable mid weight kiter/sniper.

tanks are very powerful in this game, cannons drastically outclass regular arm weapons in every way. A lot of people prefer to take the more difficult bipedal approach but IMO tank practice is not a bad introduction to the game (they shitstomp) if you can avoid getting pulverized to the point that you're losing money on missions. The other downside from an economy stand point is that tanks have the most specialized parts tree that also happens to cost the most up front. So you're locked in early to an extent, though it doesnt mean anything in terms of getting through missions.

the bass cannon quad is really the newbs jack knife. Using the SC as a can opener it can finish a lot of missions without entering the AI's aggro range, without sacrificing mid and close range performance (the SC is manually aimed) through FCS requirements. Its the slowest approach, in this case slow but steady etc. applies. The downfall is that over focusing on the sniper cannon element yields the least practice.

you're concerned with efficiency in a number of areas... for that reason I'd say invest towards the SC quad first. It has the least specialized parts list and the bass-cannon guarantee makes it easier to accumulate Au early if you're accurate and engage mobs carefully.

Close the door, put out the light.

#5 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

Honestly I think a tank in story mode will not translate well into online play. Point and case a tank can easily overpower anything in story mode with the apporperate cannons.

This is coming from a tank main.

​However, playing a tank is very rewarding and requires thought since you cannot abuse some of the stronger mechanics in VD. Given what you have avalible (junk parts) I would set my AC up like this:

​Frame (head/core/arms/legs)
HD226/UCR-10/AM29/KT-1N

​Internals: (FCS/Generator/Booster/Recon)
​KV-1T2/GNE450/NA/Whatever works best, I like hover recons and sitcky ones

​Weapons: (right arm/Left Arm/Shoulders/Right Bay/Left Bay)

UPC-37/KO-6H6/USM-13 or KO-8C/KO-5K3/URF-15

​The first thing you are going to notice is that this tank has less AP (health) than the default junk one. Remember Defenses are more important than AP. You will take hits much better with this set up than the default version. Secondly, HEAT rockets or CE missiles are up to you. HEAT Rockets grant much more firepower but are hard to hit with. If you learn to aim with them you can make a number of the difficult boss battles in this game a breeze. The HEAT Cannon and Pulse Cannon will mow down just about any other AC you run across in the game, unless it happens to be another tank. It does force you into close range however. Don't worry too much about ammo, the gatling gun will be enough to complete most missions in the game if you need to.

​Finally, if you chose to use this build, learn to boost charge. That attack will basically OHKO anything near you in a tank. This includes other ACs.

Anything can be solved with the proper application of explosives

#6 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • AC Type:
    Busted
  • PSNID:
    GildedSpaceHydra

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:04 AM

Thanks. I built the tank described above and am playing around with it in Test Mode now. Seems with the cannons it isn't possible to toggle to shoulder weapons unless the arm units run out of ammo and are purged. If a weapon is purged in battle, do I lose it forever?

#7 Nescient

Nescient

nope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • AC Type:
    Black, RWD
  • PSNID:
    T56
  • LIVE Tag:
    428/393 @7200/3600rpm

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:05 AM

cannons can only be switched while using weapon arms. Otherwise you're right and yes a purged weapon is gone for the mission and weighted as fully expended (ammo cost) ammunition in story.

#8 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:05 AM

you get a part back when you finish the mission. Don't worry about purging.

#9 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • AC Type:
    Busted
  • PSNID:
    GildedSpaceHydra

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

Ok, I've upgraded a fair bit of parts now and am actually making money. Now I'm going to be wanting to tweak and optimize my AC as much as possible and will probably be having all Kinds of silly questions about part stats and tuning weapons, because now that I have options it's all going to matter. Sticking with the tank/cannon thing for the time being. Any input is welcome, I'm sure I'll have specific questions soon enough.

Current build, all parts "repaired" unless noted::

Head HD-U-C23 (CE defense)
Core Co-G-F24 (TE defense)
Arms AA-207L (KE defense)
Legs D/K-1N (TE defense, junk)
FCS Fs-L-E28 (close range)
Generator MAKIBASHIRA mdl 2 (hi capacity)
Recon *
Pulse Cannon D/UPC-37 (junk)
HEAT cannon D/KO-6H6 (junk)
HEAT Rocket AZUSAYUMI mdl 1 (no lock on)
Gatling gun D/KO-5K3 (junk)
Pulse machine gun D/UEM-34 (junk)

* My recon options are:
D/STK-16 (junk)
ASATORI mdl 1
Re-X-A07

I haven't really figured out how to use recon and scan mode yet, so not sure what to do with these.

I currently have 550,301 Au

#10 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

recons and scan mode let you find opponents hiding behind buildings or who may be outside your lock on range, even your immediate field of vision.

to use them enter scan mode and simply deploy a recon. then look around wherever you deployed said recon. you will be able to see enemies and by pressing fire buttons you can see thier armor values and equipped weapons.

I decline to comment on the build without the game running in front of me so i can see defense numbers and EN recovery with some other stats

#11 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

recons and scan mode let you find opponents hiding behind buildings or who may be outside your lock on range, even your immediate field of vision.

to use them enter scan mode and simply deploy a recon. then look around wherever you deployed said recon. you will be able to see enemies and by pressing fire buttons you can see thier armor values and equipped weapons.

I decline to comment on the build without the game running in front of me so i can see defense numbers and EN recovery with some other stats.

EDIT: i somehow double posted? stoopid phone browser

#12 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • AC Type:
    Busted
  • PSNID:
    GildedSpaceHydra

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:30 AM

Thanks y'all. Everyone's been a huge help. I ended up buying a bunch of random parts so I can experiment with builds later. I ended up breezing through a few missions before finally getting to one that was giving me some trouble right as I was getting sleepy, though even that one didn't give me the overwhelming feeling I had earlier. I'll get back on it later today. I'm both looking forward to and dreading digging into the stats and really figuring out what's what.

#13 Reyleones

Reyleones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationEverywere
  • AC Type:
    Versatile in all forms of combat
  • PSNID:
    Reyleones

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

If you have a mic you shuld join atlas, i can go over things with you so you understand mechanics better

#14 Nescient

Nescient

nope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • AC Type:
    Black, RWD
  • PSNID:
    T56
  • LIVE Tag:
    428/393 @7200/3600rpm

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

leave new guy alone rey he's playing story, not some expendable CQ resource.

yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq