• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • AC Type:
    Mid Quadruped
  • PSNID:
    Griffon_ACG

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

So despite having been away for a while, for whatever reason lately I've been on a good ol' AC kick, reminiscing about the old games and anxiously awaiting any kind of news for AC6. And after playing a bunch of Dark Souls and Bloodborne, I got tot thinking what influence the success of those games may have on a future AC title. Do you think it'll be something as simple as DS making FROM such a huge name now, so when a trailer or something gets released people will actually pay attention? They'll see the words "FROM SOFTWARE" on screen and be glued to it, take a look at the cool giant robots blowing crap up, and see the title and go "Oh, Armored Core, I've heard of that but never played it. I didn't know it was from the Dark Souls guys.", at the very least bringing in a whole new mass of players. Or do you think they'll implement certain gameplay mechanics? There are already some similarities, like stamina works just like your generator, rings/runes are optional parts, and even the L-ar,/R-arm dynamic feels familiar to the old games. Conceivably they could introduce an invasion system where, similar to joining certain covenants, accepting a contract for a corporation or faction could cause you to invade or "intercept" other players taking missions against that particular client. Or perhaps reworking the boost/jump/quickboost system to reflect the Souls run/dodge setup? 

What do you guys think might be in store for the series now that it's no longer FROMs flagship title?

Posted Image
Armored Core has changed.

#2 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

Its an interesting thought, I hope that it the success of the souls borne games brings additional players to armored core, but i don't think the games will have too much bleed over in terms of mechanics. (Apart from, maybe, the steep learning curve)

‚ÄčThe invasion thing was kinda tried in ACV no? Invade other terriorities to take them over. Only instead of pale toungs you get the area.

Anything can be solved with the proper application of explosives

#3 Griffon

Griffon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • AC Type:
    Mid Quadruped
  • PSNID:
    Griffon_ACG

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

‚ÄčThe invasion thing was kinda tried in ACV no? Invade other terriorities to take them over. Only instead of pale toungs you get the area.

In a way I suppose, but that was still strictly the multiplayer part of the game. When I think of invading someone else's game I'm thinking more of actual campaign missions, like how when an NPC Raven could often show up in the middle of a mission. And instead of gaining arbitrary areas, you could get corporate/faction points, which could lead to unique parts, but perhaps that's taking a bit too much from DS. I guess there would have to be some sort of stipulation too, like how you can't be invaded in DS/BB unless you're human/embered/ringing.

Posted Image

#4 Nescient

Nescient

nope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • AC Type:
    Black, RWD
  • PSNID:
    T56
  • LIVE Tag:
    428/393 @7200/3600rpm

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:16 AM

In a way I suppose, but that was still strictly the multiplayer part of the game. When I think of invading someone else's game I'm thinking more of actual campaign missions, like how when an NPC Raven could often show up in the middle of a mission. And instead of gaining arbitrary areas, you could get corporate/faction points, which could lead to unique parts, but perhaps that's taking a bit too much from DS. I guess there would have to be some sort of stipulation too, like how you can't be invaded in DS/BB unless you're human/embered/ringing.

You can do exactly this by registering as a mercenary and killing anyone that dares hire you. Why obscure rewards behind a dark souls style system, though? This idea sounds ok on paper but its one of the longest running complaints against dark souls 3. 

Close the door, put out the light.

#5 Griffon

Griffon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • AC Type:
    Mid Quadruped
  • PSNID:
    Griffon_ACG

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

Why obscure rewards behind a dark souls style system, though? This idea sounds ok on paper but its one of the longest running complaints against dark souls 3. 

This is absolutely true, and I was debating even posting it because even though I mentioned it, I'm not sure if I'd really even want that. I just think there should be some kind of incentive to invade past ruining someone else's day. I agree that locking items behind covenants does suck, but at the end of the day, it means you get cool stuff for successful pvp, otherwise, why bother?

Then again, you didn't get anything (I think) except echoes by invading in Bloodborne, and people sure as hell did that too, so you might be completely right.

Posted Image

#6 Nescient

Nescient

nope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • AC Type:
    Black, RWD
  • PSNID:
    T56
  • LIVE Tag:
    428/393 @7200/3600rpm

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

I agree that locking items behind covenants does suck, but at the end of the day, it means you get cool stuff for successful pvp, otherwise, why bother?

For fun.

#7 Griffon

Griffon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • AC Type:
    Mid Quadruped
  • PSNID:
    Griffon_ACG

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

Haha, well, you got me there. I'm not sure why I kept pushing the implication that there needs to be more of a reason than that. Probably just my habit of getting too into the setting, so I'm looking for a lore reasoning behind it. But at the end of the day, that's just silly. Still, I do like the idea of getting something for your "loyalty" to a faction. Maybe not so much hiding exclusive parts behind a reward, but after getting so many kills, getting a special intro cutscene for yourself that plays when you invade. But that's less of a Dark Souls influence deal and more "wish list" material. 

Posted Image

#8 Nescient

Nescient

nope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • AC Type:
    Black, RWD
  • PSNID:
    T56
  • LIVE Tag:
    428/393 @7200/3600rpm

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

dude go merc and kill newbs, live the dream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq