Light/Mid Bipedal tuned for Assault.
  • PSNID:
    n/a
  • LIVE Tag:
    Siphon 117
  • SkypeID:
    n/a

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:36 PM

No, you could hover. You couldn't control you're vertical ascent, and were reliant on the terrain to get a vertical edge. That's not true flight in my opinion.

And it cost a massive amount of energy to glide boost, or are you talking about when you jump in the air or off a building? Because if you are, I direct you to the line above.

Quotes

"Onward to the sacred Icon."

"From this moment on, you are a Raven."

"The only ones who should kill, are the those who are prepared to be killed."

"Olly olly oxen free."

#102 Leos Klein

Leos Klein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • AC Type:
    High Speed Midweight Bipedal
  • PSNID:
    NikolaiDoctrine

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:48 AM

Vertical combat =/= flight. 

Glide boost uses way less energy than overboost did. Boost drive uses way less energy than aerial boost did. 

What ACVD did is make the dynamic importance of vertical combat dependent on the map.

On some maps (the city map most notably) in ACVD vertical combat in the air is MUCH more dynamic and if you stay at the same elevation for long, you're fucked. 

On other maps, (Myinski hills) the flat open areas mean that vertical combat is restricted solely to reverse-joints. 

That being said, play a reverse joint AC in ACVD, and then play last raven. The Reverse Joint is going to have more aerial combat ability than almost any AC from last raven. 

The only AC game with  sustained aerial combat was ACFA. Even AC4 was mostly ground based.

#103 rogan

rogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • AC Type:
    Cannon whore

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:00 AM

The only AC game with  sustained aerial combat was ACFA. Even AC4 was mostly ground based.

I'm going to chime in here:

lolno. Maybe there is a way for someone to record me playing some of the older games as I lack the ability to record myself. I can beat a number of missions in AC1-ACLR without touching the ground except at the start. If thats not sustained aerial combat I don't know what is.

I can also direct you to AC3's arena where Swift/Valkyrie and Ace/Arcadia are notorious for extended flight. I've had games with Swift where the engine doesn't even land. (There is also a RJ armed with a bazooka and veritcal missiles which can spend an entire fight airborne but I can't remember the AC name) There are a couple in MOA and ACPP arena's as well but I don't remember their AC/Pilot names off the top of my head. Rank 7 in AC2 also sustains aerial combat for quite a while, tho not to the extent that Ace/Swift do.

Anything can be solved with the proper application of explosives

#104 Leos Klein

Leos Klein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • AC Type:
    High Speed Midweight Bipedal
  • PSNID:
    NikolaiDoctrine

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

Permaflight, is what I'm talking about. Permaflight is pretty unconventional in all AC games.

Yes, it is possible, but rarely do you get to fly significantly higher than you get to in ACVD (4-10x AC height)except in FA, where it was easy to fly 20x higher than your AC height.

#105 Siphon117

Siphon117

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationArkansas
  • AC Type:
    Light/Mid Bipedal tuned for Assault.
  • PSNID:
    n/a
  • LIVE Tag:
    Siphon 117
  • SkypeID:
    n/a

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

Regardless, I still don't consider ACV and ACVD as having proper flight. Not compared to ACFA, which is my favorite in the series so far.

Quotes

"Onward to the sacred Icon."

"From this moment on, you are a Raven."

"The only ones who should kill, are the those who are prepared to be killed."

"Olly olly oxen free."

#106 Griffon

Griffon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • AC Type:
    Mid Quadruped
  • PSNID:
    Griffon_ACG

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:06 AM

What would I bring back?

From the "Raven" games:

-Overall movement mechanics and general rules. I don't care much for quickboost and how it's become the primary form of movement. If it were tweaked to be a last-ditch evasion, maybe, but overall the movement should go back to the old games.

-Shoji Kawamori as lead mech designer. Having too many people with radically different design styles isn't a terrible idea, but if fA is anything to go by, it can lead to some really unappealing combinations, aesthetically. Having Kawamori as the main designer would alleviate a lot of that, and have another guy come in to do more unique parts for the "smaller, 3rd corporation" i.e.: Balena, Kisaragi, etc.

-Simplicity. The games were complex enough, and all this extra complexity they've added in 4 and V just seem arbitrary at best, and really screw the meta at worst. In the old games even with OP parts there was a wide range of ways to utilize them, but there weren't really the "cookie cutter" designs we've seen with ACV, where several ACs have identical builds. In this case, less is more.

-LOCAL MULTIPLAYER. I cannot stress this enough. One of my favorite aspects of games is having friends over and playing together. We'd spend hours in the PS2 games battling and refining our builds. AC4 made that difficult, and ACV made it impossible. Its likely that no matter how good AC6 may be, if it doesn't have local multiplayer, I won't get it.

From AC4:

-AALIYAH-style parts. Head especially.

-A few aesthetic things, like the slide-barrel revolver grenade launcher. Not much game mechanics-wise though.

From ACV:

-Special multiplayer super-bosses. These were a cool idea, and what Arms Forts in fA should have been. It always bugged me how easy AFs were to take down, so when I saw a video of the ACVD raid on the Motherwill, I thought "THIS is how it should have been", so keep that aspect for sure. Hell, make the Motherwill a recurring theme, like how several games have nots and allusions to Nineball, do that for Motherwill too.

-Customizable garages were cool. I liked being able to do that. I thought it added a bit of depth to how the player could view his pilot character and how he/she would act by determining what kind of garage they would have. Being able to unlock special ones by beating multiplier bosses like mentioned above would be cool, I'd like to see my AC being assembled on the Motherwill.

-Emblem creation system. Probably the best I've seen in the series. 

-Clan support, but should not be a requirement. Having a clan to join is cool, but needing them to all be active all the time to accomplish anything is not.

Posted Image
Armored Core has changed.

#107 DominantLegend

DominantLegend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • AC Type:
    AC Red Sun
  • PSNID:
    DominantLegend

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:05 AM

High accel boosters in ACVD work a lot like normal boost did in the older games (especially last raven), actually, in terms of evasion (not so much in terms of flight) with glide boost being a sort of directional OB. At mid-long range you can dodge most weapons without high boost, and high boost on these don't really do much for positioning or dodging. It's only viable if you're a lightweight, since your normal boost accelerates up to 200m/s relatively quickly, whereas most mid or heavyweights max at around 250-300 m/s with their high boost.  So basic movement as a LW is the equivalent of HBing everywhere as a heavy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq